Question

Tethering

• 7 June 2018
  • 5 replies

I've been tethering on my ATT Lumia 1520 for over 8 mos. Suddenly today it stopped working. I called in and they said maintenance was being done. Anyone have an idea hot long this will take?

I worry that something done to the networks will perm. lock my phone from tethering. My Verizon phones (unlocked) on other carriers do not tether.

Anyone else have problems today?

Auggy

5 replies

I might be misunderstanding what you're asking but as far as I know, tethering is not allowed on mint mobile. I'm guessing they just discovered you were using tethering and blocked it some how. If tethering is allowed, do you know where on the website it says that?
Where did you get this info? i was told by for over 8 months that it's allowed. Sure enough, it worked for me for 8 mos.

But we might both be right, my phone is an ATT phone and ATT usually does not allow tethering off of their own network. However, this Lumia has worked so I never complained. Perhaps the system has been updated and now recognizes my phone as having those restrictions? I'd have to buy an unbranded windows phone like a MS 950xl to get tethering again. Blah! Love my 1520.
I switched over to mint mobile, mint sim at the time, around February 2017 and I remember reading the fine print and it said no tethering. I tried finding that info before replying to you but no luck. I'm pretty sure it was really buried the last time I saw it. Or I could just be wrong, lol.
Userlevel 3
I switched over to mint mobile, mint sim at the time, around February 2017 and I remember reading the fine print and it said no tethering. I tried finding that info before replying to you but no luck. I'm pretty sure it was really buried the last time I saw it. Or I could just be wrong, lol.

If you read plan descriptions, you'll see something like this:

Mobile HotSpot: turn your device into a WiFi hotspot

But under the T&C, there's this:

Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your Device and not on any other equipment. Other uses, including for example, using your Device as a modem or tethering your Device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted.

The T&C seem to largely use tethering and Hotspot interchangeably, except in this one instance. So is Hotspot permited, but non-WiFi tethering is not? Can we get an official answer on this?
Where did you get this info? i was told by for over 8 months that it's allowed. Sure enough, it worked for me for 8 mos.

But we might both be right, my phone is an ATT phone and ATT usually does not allow tethering off of their own network. However, this Lumia has worked so I never complained. Perhaps the system has been updated and now recognizes my phone as having those restrictions? I'd have to buy an unbranded windows phone like a MS 950xl to get tethering again. Blah! Love my 1520.

No need to buy an unbranded phone, just flash the unbranded firmware and your phone will act like an unbranded phone. This will remove all ATT branding from the phone including boot screen, and bloatware.