Question

Undo Verizon "Settings" from Unlocked Adroid Phone?

• 21 August 2019
  • 4 replies

I apologize for the long-winded question, but there are a lot of details I think will help so here goes.

I bought a used, fully-unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9+. It’s able to be used with any carrier. I wanted to try TracFone out as a carrier, so I installed a Tracfone SIM card compatible with Verizon to set up the phone. After installing the SIM card, I had to call Tracfone to help me choose the correct network and SIM settings. That worked as normally, but after I did the setup and reboot, my phone automatically installed several Verizon apps, and now boots up with a Verizon screen. When I made a phone call it said Verizon. I wanted to try Mint, so I switched and am now setup with the default APN settings, which work fine. However, I wonder why my phone still says Verizon. I can’t even uninstall those apps. Those apps weren’t even there until after I installed the SIM card from TracFone earlier.

So right now, I have a fully unlocked phone, that behaves as a Verizon phone, that uses Mint as the carrier, which pulls from T-Mobile’s network (haha). I just want to undo all the Verizon stuff, and then hopefully I can remove the apps and allow for a firmware update. I am currently running Android 8. When I tried to update to Android 9 while still on Tracfone, it would keep saying it was up to date, even though my brother’s S8 was running Android 9 (and he uses Tracfone). Now when I check after switching to Mint it says “Sorry, we are having trouble authenticating your device. Try again later.”

How do I undo the Verizon “settings” to make my phone behave more like an unlocked phone again, and allow for updates?

Thanks,

4 replies

So there may be a couple settings that need to be changed, but right now if you go to
Settings>About Phone>Software Information, there is an item called "Service provider SW ver." and under that I see a bunch of "VZW" which tells me that its still got Verizon Wireless in there somehow. The last line reads "VZW/XAA/SPR", so I think this has something to do with it. How do I change this (if I even need to)?
Have you done a factory reset (wipe the phone of all settings and data)? The Verizon crap may be imbedded in the kernel, and can't be gotten rid of. I have an older unlocked phone that was with ATT and their crap (bloatware) can't be removed, hence for years now I only buy phones from the manufacturer, unlocked for myself and family.
Have you done a factory reset (wipe the phone of all settings and data)? The Verizon crap may be imbedded in the kernel, and can't be gotten rid of. I have an older unlocked phone that was with ATT and their crap (bloatware) can't be removed, hence for years now I only buy phones from the manufacturer, unlocked for myself and family.

I could see that helping with the removal of the Verizon stuff. What's odd is that when I got my phone, it was totally unlocked, and then upon setting up the SIM for TracFone, it "became" a Verizon phone. Anyway I can try that and hopefully retain my data. However, how can I configure my phone to get the Android 9 update? Will the factory reset also help with this?
so i have a similar issue. I was using Mint on a Motorola Moto G7 and it never installed any apps. it left it alone. I recently acquired an unlocked S8+ with was completely unlocked. After i put the Mint sim in there it now starts up with a tmobile splash screen and it installed two apps: Tmobile and device unlock. The device unlock says that its network locked at this time. It says i can check the unlock eligibility by hitting continue but that fails.

Why would it tell me my phones carrier locked after inserting this sim? will this go away with a factory reset?