using voice mail while roaming internationally

Hi folks. I would like to ask the community for their experience with voice mail while roaming internationally with mintmobile. I always roam internationally. I joined mintmobile mainly to keep my old cell phone number while I travel abroad for a few years. It works - mintmobile prices are very competitive - except I can't check my voice mail, can't disable it, can't change it.

Dialing 805-637-7456 from my iphone or via skype results in "invalid mail box" message. Any hashtag control messages I send from my iphone return generic errors.

In the end I have a voice mailbox which I can never check.

I asked Support but they say it's all about my roaming and so they can't help me. I am wondering if anyone else is stuck with a voice mail they can't control because they always roam internationally and what they have done to workaround it.

Appreciate,
always_roaming

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Yes, international roaming is a great benefit. That is why I switched to Mint as well.

Someone else had a similar problem. Here is a link to a previous discussion that includes a workaround that worked for that person: https://community.mintmobile.com/ask-a-question-14/can-t-reach-voicemails-while-out-of-the-country-264

I don't know if your problem is exactly the same of if that workaround will work for you.

I have a Google Voice number and have forwarded my Mint voicemail to that number. I get notifications of missed calls and voicemails in the U.S. and when roaming internationally.
Userlevel 2
Just to be clear, did you set up VM before you left? If not, you may want to reach out to customer service--maybe message @Mint_Natalie or @RoyceWashington--or call 611 via WiFi calling with your Mint SIM in the iPhone.
Thank you guys for the feedback. I will try the suggestions in the previous discussion and will post if it's successful.

I do remember setting up a voice mail after I joined mintmobile, before I left.

Actually WiFi calling is not available on apple devices, only on android devices, as of Feb 2018 https://www.mintmobile.com/wifi-talk-text

In any case, when I call voicemail while roaming I get a response that mailbox is not setup. And support said nothing wrong with my mailbox. So there is something inherently incompatible between mintmobile voicemail and mintmobile roaming.
always_roaming wrote:

Thank you guys for the feedback. I will try the suggestions in the previous discussion and will post if it's successful.

I do remember setting up a voice mail after I joined mintmobile, before I left.

Actually WiFi calling is not available on apple devices, only on android devices, as of Feb 2018 https://www.mintmobile.com/wifi-talk-text

In any case, when I call voicemail while roaming I get a response that mailbox is not setup. And support said nothing wrong with my mailbox. So there is something inherently incompatible between mintmobile voicemail and mintmobile roaming.

Hello, please direct message me your mobile number and I'll reset the voicemail settings to see if that helps.
-Natalie
Mint Mobile
Just to conclude this thread - I am able to check my voicemail now. Not sure what changed. Now while roaming internationally I "call voicemail" from my iphone, I get greeted to leave a voice message, but I press * and get prompted for password. And after password I get to hear messages in my voicemail. Honestly, nothing changed from my side, I am in the same physical location as before.

However, the option to call 805-637-7456 from another number, like Skype, still doesn't work. It doesn't recognize my mailbox number.

Anyway, I can check my voicemail now and that's a good thing, even though it's not free while roaming.

Appreciate everyone's help!
Userlevel 2
always_roaming wrote:

However, the option to call 805-637-7456 from another number, like Skype, still doesn't work. It doesn't recognize my mailbox number.

Glad to hear you have it working now. Instead of calling the 805 number from Skype, have you tried calling your own number?
When I call my own number via Skype it doesn't go to voicemail at all. If not answered the call is eventually dropped.