Solved

Data use history

Userlevel 2
Is there a way for me to check how much data I used for each month that I am with Mint? Like prior months.
icon

Best answer by B00G13 8 June 2018, 14:36

The app will also tell you how much data you have used.
Furthermore i use the overview in IOS.
Go to settings
Cellular
It will show, data, current period
I reset it every month when Mint messages me that the data got reset.

Android has a similar feature and on some versions you can also set a limit, and a warning when that limit is reached. On my android phone i can also see the history if im not mistaken.
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hello,

Thanks for contacting us through the community. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to check prior months data usage at the moment because we are a prepaid service. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Mint Mobile Support
Userlevel 1
I like the idea of having this. Analytics are pretty important for monitoring & tracking.

This will allow your users to plan based off metrics.

🤔
Userlevel 4
Badge
I like the idea of having this. Analytics are pretty important for monitoring & tracking.

This will allow your users to plan based off metrics.

🤔

Thanks for the feedback. Although checking the data balances for prior months is not an option, we recommend staying up to date with your current balances by texting DATA to 6700.

Regards,
Mint Mobile Support
The app will also tell you how much data you have used.
Furthermore i use the overview in IOS.
Go to settings
Cellular
It will show, data, current period
I reset it every month when Mint messages me that the data got reset.

Android has a similar feature and on some versions you can also set a limit, and a warning when that limit is reached. On my android phone i can also see the history if im not mistaken.

Elaborating on what B00G13 said, if you have an Android phone you should be able to see these analytics by going to Settings -> Data usage -> Cellular data usage where you can view past billing cycles.

If you tap on the settings cog you can set the start date of the billing cycle so you have accurate information.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to check prior months data usage at the moment because we are a prepaid service.

Mint Mobile Support

I don’t understand the logic here. Being prepaid doesn’t have anything to do with showing past data usage history. There are many things you pay for in advance and can monitor/track the past usage of.

I totally agree with BrandonV. Prepaid has zero to do with anything about usage numbers. It’s stupidly easy to capture end-of-period data use # into a simple database table or user hash for recall by the users. Just plain lazy... poor web/app customer service - by design.

I thought it was interesting when I first started and was on a 3 month plan at the end of the month I would get a text telling me how much data I had used, but that all went away when I went to a year plan… Not a big deal, but would be nice to know how many texts, minutes, and data monthly… even if it was a text message.

I thought it was interesting when I first started and was on a 3 month plan at the end of the month I would get a text telling me how much data I had used, but that all went away when I went to a year plan… Not a big deal, but would be nice to know how many texts, minutes, and data monthly… even if it was a text message.

I just rolled off the 3 month to annual. I didn't get end of month texts. They must have dropped that across the board.

It seems as though the lack of data usage history is one of those “by design” (lacking) features of Mint Mobile so that it’s users can’t see the analytics to determine if they can save money by switching to another carrier. 

I speculate that this really has more to do with such items being irrelevant for a prepaid service.  Reporting/analytics adds cost to their bottom line, which the customer would end up getting charged for eventually.  Would I like to see this as an option?  Sure, but not at an increased cost.

i just came to Mint from AT&T, and I’m saving roughly $45 month AND getting 5x the data.  Oddly enough it appears I’m actually using *less* data than with AT&T for some odd reason, even though my pattern hasn’t changed.  I’ll take the mild annoyance of having to manually check my data over the fact that I can save enough in 2 years to outright buy a new device rather than renting for $25 more per month.

i just came to Mint from AT&T, and I’m saving roughly $45 month AND getting 5x the data.  Oddly enough it appears I’m actually using *less* data than with AT&T for some odd reason, even though my pattern hasn’t changed.  I’ll take the mild annoyance of having to manually check my data over the fact that I can save enough in 2 years to outright buy a new device rather than renting for $25 more per month.

I switched to Wing Tel. They resell AT&T business plans and has priority access to the network. Though I spend more ($34/mo for 2 GB of LTE data), the network reliability, indoor coverage, and speed over Mint’s MVNO is hands down superior. I still have my Mint SIM in my dual SIM phone in case I find myself needing more data, but once my pre-paid service is up with Mint, I will never look back!

Is there a way for me to check how much data I used for each month that I am with Mint? Like prior months.

I can’t believe that Mint doesn’t know what a user’s data usage was for previous months. I don’t understand why this valuable information isn’t made available to the customer. Any junior programmer should be able to set it up in a few hours. Even Verizon does that, and they suck at information sharing (among other things).

Is there a way for me to check ...

I can’t believe that Mint doesn’t know what a user’s data usage was for previous months.

Well, they do know. They just don’t share it for some reason. As said already here by @vancevep, this is probably by design so users aren’t able to shop around and compare. I like Mint, don’t get me wrong, I just wish they were more open with usage info. In fact, this transparency would be another reason I would stay. 

Elaborating on what B00G13 said, if you have an Android phone you should be able to see these analytics by going to Settings -> Data usage -> Cellular data usage where you can view past billing cycles.

I’m on Android 8.0 on an LG G5.  On this, it’s Settings → Network & Internet → Mobile Data.  In there is a drop-down that will allow you to see data usage for previous months, neatly aligned to your billing cycle.

I add my vote to the opinion that it’s strange that the Mint app does not show you usage for previous months.  Even though voice and text are unlimited (thanks, Mint!), I’d appreciate seeing those as well.  At a minimum, seeing previous usage for prior months helps the user see if usage is getting close to the maximum for the current tier.  At a maximum, seeing all three would help me gauge how much Mint is saving me compared to a plan that charges for voice and text.