Question

international data roaming not working

• 13 November 2018
  • 31 replies

Hi,

I'm traveling in India and I've loaded funds for international roaming. I'm able to place and receive phone calls, but I'm not getting access to the internet. Mobile Data and International Data roaming is enabled on my phone.

Any suggestions for getting international data roaming to work?

Thanks.

31 replies

I arrived in Chile earlier today, and Mint Mobile's roaming only worked for the texting, but even then, it was flaky at times. I didn't try roaming calling. But the roaming internet did not work AT ALL. VERY UPSET, as I was very dependent on the internet (for maps, translating words, etc.). I had to go buy a local SIM that came with 3GB of data for $10 since Mint's "Global Roaming" is essentially useless. Trying to figure out how to buy a pre-paid SIM card in a foreign language, figuring out where (and from which company) to buy it, and taking the time out of a tight-packed vacation schedule to do this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING! Not to mention, I will be in Colombia next week and have to do the same all over again! On top of that, since I have to use a local SIM card, I won't be able to receive calls/texts from my U.S. #, which I registered for travel notifications, STEP, all my contacts, etc. As this apparently has been happening for about a month now to other users, if Mint Mobile doesn't fix this ASAP (and refund everyone's money who pre-paid for roaming), this can easily be construed as "false advertising" and result in a class-action lawsuit. Until today, loved Mint Mobile, but this experience has severely, negatively impacted my impression of the company and their service.
+1 I've had the exact same problem last week when I traveled to the UK and Portugal. Text and calls worked but data didn't in either country.
I'm currently in Vancouver Canada, and phone, SMS and data are all not working. When I go network providers, I only get Mint options.

The strangest part is that I was in Vancouver about 3 weeks ago and didn't have any problems.

Mint is pretty garbage service, can't seem to get their act together, Looking forward to cancelling my account once my last month of the contract is up.
I was in Turkey this past week and was not able to place calls, send/receive messages, or get any mobile data. I was using a unlocked iPhone X, so please do not tell me the phone does not have the bands. Do not advertise something that does not work.
+1 having the SAME problem right now in India.
Userlevel 1
I am currently in Iceland, phone shows full bars of "R", but will not connect to the internet here. Calling works fine and texting, non MMS works well too. Unfortunately, I switched to Mint because of its ability to data-roam worldwide since I travel a lot. Very disappointing. I called and was told to switch to 3g, not 4g LTE. I did that and still can't get data. Mint - please fix this problem!
Userlevel 2
+1
Can confirm that International Calls/Texts/Data does not work at all in Mexico either. Contacted Customer Support - did not hear back. Based on all these comments, looks to be a large (and wide spread) infrastructure issue.
Same issue here... I was in the Netherlands during Thanksgiving and roaming did not work at all. Contacted Mintsim about it, and they said they were going to look into it. I was there for only 4 days, so by the time they got back to me, I was already back in the US. For Chirstmas I was again in the Netherlands...and this time roaming for internet did not work again.. but now I also was unable to send and receive SMS text ('unable to send message - message blocking is active'.) and could not make or receive calls. So basically my phone was useless. Lucky for me, I still have my Dutch phone. In Switzerland I had the same issue during the second week. Mintsim customer service is horrible, during those 2 weeks I barely got any response. I send the first request on December 22, the only thing they told me was to send info on my phone, sim card, roaming address etc on Dec 25th. I send it to them immediately, got a reply on the 28th "Hello, Could you please power cycle your device and make service test?' Like I didn't try that immediately??. Then told them it didn't work... and got no reply back on that. I got roaming working last year in Canada, so I don't know what changed, but it sucks.
Not hearing positive responses from anyone with US phone numbers regarding international data use? I also did not receive a return email or call from the representative I spoke with about the data issue!
I'm also in Canada and having the same issue. When I first started with Mint back in August and I traveled back to Canada, I was able to text and call - the roaming worked fine. But in November and now this December trip the roaming has not worked at all. It's quite frustrating.
Same for France - not working and talking to customer service to fix this issue was painful.
+1 I am gonna cancel mintsim
same in Spain. No data, no text, no call
+1. Have been unable to use data on international roaming in India, and also during my layover in China.
I was in Turkey and I couldn't make any phone calls. When I got back I called Mint and was told, I had to put my phone on airplane mode before leaving the country and take it off once I landed and it should work. I did this last month flying to Mexico and I also had no international roaming. I didn't try to make any phone calls.
Seems to me that MINT customer service needs to figure this one out soon! There has not been any replies from them.
I wish I saw this post earier, now i am in China, call and text are fine but no data at all.
This question was posed one month ago and not one response from Mint. There are many other questions that have been asked quite some time ago without any interaction from Mint. When my trial is over, I intend to look elsewhere for phone service since the follow through here is so sporadic.
Same here. When I contacted them after my last trip because of that issue, they said the same as someone said above: turn on air plane mode, turn it back off when landed, etc. I’m in Brazil, followed the instructions and internarional data roaming still not working!

For data, I used the APN settings at https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/mint-sim-apn-settings/ when I was recently in the UK and Belgium, and it worked fine for me. YMMV.

Been in India for well over a week, also had a layover in dubai. Mint SIM international roaming (data and calls) hasn't worked till now. I do receive texts and calls but I am not able to make calls or text.
Will move to Fi or TMo once plan expires.
In Aruba, not connecting and not working, the T-mobile phone works right away!
Traveled to qatar end thailandia and roaming did not work at all, i was so frustated since i travel alot and i switch carrier after reading mint has roaming feature which is not true.
Planning on going bact to tmobile where my roaming always worked 100%
I dont find a solution from mint to keep their customers and provided services as offered.
Sep 9th, '19

You can add Serbia and Bulgaria to the places where neither voice nor SMS texting work. Distressing to hear Turkey is that way also as that is next. I don't use Mint's roaming data as it is 200.00 USD a GB.
I am currently in the UK and am experiencing the same issue, no data but SMS and voice calling work. I need a data connection that works. Please advise as to any change of settings necessary for an unlocked Android phone to work.
Mint is working fine in Mexico on my android phone. Make sure you have TMobile's default VPN and this one for data:

Cellular Data
Name: Ultra
APN: Wholesale
Proxy: (leave blank)
Port: 8080
Username & Password: (leave blank)
Server: (leave blank)
MMS
MMSC:http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/m...
MMS Proxy: (leave blank)
MMS Port: (leave blank)
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type: (leave blank)
APN Type: default,supl,mms

Click SAVE and select it. If it doesnt work right away restart your phone. It worked for me