Question

Roaming Data in Canada

• 29 October 2018
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello,

I was in Niagara Falls and Toronto over this past weekend and had paid $5 for international roaming prior to my trip. While I was in Canada I was able to send and receive text messages (I did not try any calls), however, I was never able to access any data for the most part. I have a Nexus 6P and double checked and made sure that I had enabled data while roaming, which in fact was enabled.

Is there no roaming data in these parts of Canada, or was this most likely a different issue? Back in the spring I had traveled to Mexico and was able to get service just fine while I was still on my T-Mobile Prepaid plan before I switched to Mint, so that should indicate that my phone is able to roam without any issues. I also know here in the US when I roam I typically cannot access data due to the abysmal speeds I get, so perhaps Mint just has very low roaming data prioritization.

12 replies

Userlevel 1
I travel to Canada several times a year and have never been able to get roaming data to work there. I too have money in my account for roaming data. I emailed mint support about this a half year ago but they never replied (other than an auto-response promising to contact me soon).

very disappointing service from mint
Userlevel 1
It's a shame because otherwise the service works fine. Based on what I have read and seen with announcements about roaming only recently becoming available I assume that it's a "newer" feature for Mint and they likely know they don't have it configured to work correctly so they either ignore the questions or blame customers' phones.
I'm using a pixel 3 and have no data working in Canada.

Mint Mobile,

Care to reply to all these roaming not working issues in Canada?  Is this just false advertising?

Mint mobile representatives, why we the customers should not take a legal action for absolutely false advertisement below! Mint does not provide roaming data in Canada. I have been to Ottawa multiple times, did all recommended setting changes (yes, data romaing is ON, choose Mint as a carrier, since it doesn’t give option of local roaming data provider) still NO data in Canada! Now I am in second month of MInt, and my 5$ of data roaming is GONE! Why? Again false advertisement for leftover data roaming money roll over!

SERIOUSLY, pay  attention for international data roaming! or stop false advertisement!

How do we start class action lawsuit against mint?

In my 3rd week of no international roaming.  I am going to my credit card company due to lack of services at this point.

Everything was so good until the beginning of the month. 

Also interested in joining a class action lawsuit for false advertising. Which is a shame because Mint worked perfectly for me while I was on their 3 month introductory plan. I was able to call and access data while roaming in Canada in November.

Crazy idea

Since Canadian actor Ryan Reynolds is a stake owner in mint mobile maybe we should tweet at him since customer support has been ignoring people in this thread and other threads.

I am curious what kind of responses you guys are getting from customer service? I was told my phone was too old, yet before that I was told it’s because I did not text “UPROAM” prior to leaving the US. This worked fine in August when I was back in Canada, yet doesn’t want to work now.

Also interested in joining a class action lawsuit for false advertising. Which is a shame because Mint worked perfectly for me while I was on their 3 month introductory plan. I was able to call and access data while roaming in Canada in November.

Crazy idea

Since Canadian actor Ryan Reynolds is a stake owner in mint mobile maybe we should tweet at him since customer support has been ignoring people in this thread and other threads.

Interestingly, my case is the same. Great during 3 month intro, but now that I renewed for a year, things are down.

I am curious what kind of responses you guys are getting from customer service? I was told my phone was too old, yet before that I was told it’s because I did not text “UPROAM” prior to leaving the US. This worked fine in August when I was back in Canada, yet doesn’t want to work now.

Customer service did not mention anything about texting “UPROAM” to me. 

Hello friends, I’ve opened this thread to consolidate our Canadian voice. Please weigh in:

https://community.mintmobile.com/data-19/roaming-in-canada-plea-for-help-at-ryan-reynolds-2447