Question

Slow Data? Trial test drive

• 4 August 2018
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I just activated my 7 day trial and what ever testing I did ate all, 100MB data in less than 5 mins. Way too low to do any streaming. So I can't really see if it's as fast as T-mobile. What little testing that I was able to do, I only saw speed around 7Mbps to 9Mbps compared to T-mobile where I got 33Mbps to 60Mbps peak. All done though the Speedtest app. I've triple, quad, 5x check my data settings.

I do find Mint Mobile's pricing attractive but it's 5x slower than T-Mobile. Maybe it's a trial. I don't know. My status shows 4G LTE in a lot of the area and in some cases 4G LTE+.

Could you up the trial data to 1GB? Talk and text is fine but 100MB of data is really nothing.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello,

I just activated my 7 day trial and what ever testing I did ate all, 100MB data in less than 5 mins. Way too low to do any streaming. So I can't really see if it's as fast as T-mobile. What little testing that I was able to do, I only saw speed around 7Mbps to 9Mbps compared to T-mobile where I got 33Mbps to 60Mbps peak. All done though the Speedtest app. I've triple, quad, 5x check my data settings.

I do find Mint Mobile's pricing attractive but it's 5x slower than T-Mobile. Maybe it's a trial. I don't know. My status shows 4G LTE in a lot of the area and in some cases 4G LTE+.

Could you up the trial data to 1GB? Talk and text is fine but 100MB of data is really nothing.

Hello, you could try out any of plans and if it doesn't work out, we'll refund your money as long as you request a refund within 7 days of the activation date. You must fill out the online refund form at - https://www.mintmobile.com/return-policy/
-Natalie
Mint Mobile
Userlevel 3
Hello,

You should be able to find other threads on this discussion board which talk about users' experiences with data speeds. I imagine you'd have a hard time matching TMO's speeds all the time, but in my experience with Mint over the past several months, speeds are decent. The fastest speed I ever reached was about 48mbps, and most of the time time it seems to range between about 10-25mbps. I ran a test just now and got 21.4mbps. Since this is acceptable for the majority of my uses, and the fact that I'm on wifi at home anyway, the low cost per month means that Mint's value proposition is quite good.

Hello, you could try out any of plans and if it doesn't work out, we'll refund your money as long as you request a refund within 7 days of the activation date. You must fill out the online refund form at - https://www.mintmobile.com/return-policy/
-Natalie
Mint Mobile

If I go this route and use the trial number instead of porting, and if I like the service during the seven days, can I port my T-mobile number later or do I need to do a return and repurchase with 2nd sim card you sent me?
Userlevel 3

I only saw speed around 7Mbps to 9Mbps compared to T-mobile where I got 33Mbps to 60Mbps peak.

Multiplier varies, but Mint's speeds will never be faster than TMO proper's. Prepaid MVNOs always have lower priority on MNO networks.

TMO's most recent 2GB option (KickBack on base UDP) was $60, I believe. Mint offers the same for $15 a month.

Since Mint's data plans are capped, I believe they are not subject to the 1.5mbps video throttling TMO does. So if this is true--100MB is more than sufficient, because all you need to do is some speed tests. The official FCC speed test app must use very little data for speed tests, considering they allow you to allot 100MB for an entire month of testing.
I understand that I won't get speeds matching or close to T-Mobile. I work in IT so I do a lot of off site work. As long as I can tether and have a reliable RDP connection to my desktop, I'll be happy.
100mb really is inadequate for testing. If I open a news aggregator and flip thru a few stories, it'll eat up half that in minutes. If I do a speed test in an area with good service, the rest will be gone in one shot. Charge $10 and provide a gig.
Userlevel 3
Multiplier varies, but Mint's speeds will never be faster than TMO proper's. Prepaid MVNOs always have lower priority on MNO networks.

Is that true all the time, or only during periods of congestion? I thought Royce mentioned the latter, which would mean that theoretically speeds would be the same during periods without congestion.
Userlevel 3
Is that true all the time, or only during periods of congestion? I thought Royce mentioned the latter, which would mean that theoretically speeds would be the same during periods without congestion.

Priority? Always lower. The rule's always in place.

The effects may not be always felt though, which is how I took that Royce post (if we're talking about the same post 🙂) If the network is uncongested enough speeds will be good, and I guess theoretically they can be the same if you have a really under-strained network, but a Mint customer's speeds will never top a TMO customer's, all testing conditions being equal.
Userlevel 1

-Natalie
Mint Mobile
If I go this route and use the trial number instead of porting, and if I like the service during the seven days, can I port my T-mobile number later or do I need to do a return and repurchase with 2nd sim card you sent me?

You can use the second sim card included in the trial kit to purchase a new plan and you'll be able to port your number as well during the activation process. Just make sure to have the account and pin number, along with the billing zip code from T-Mobile.
-Natalie
Mint Mobile