First long road trip using Mint

Userlevel 3
This may be of help to those considering Mint. I just got back from a long road trip using Mint, and am pretty pleased with the service (I am on the 12-month, 10 GB plan). Drove from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Cleveland and back to Atlanta over the past week, and Mint provided very good service for the most part. I did a few speed tests while travelling, and was able to record my fastest 4g speed ever at around 48 mbps near Cleveland. It was great to be able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot in the car so I could use my laptop (this is something my old carrier, Cricket, didn't provide).

The only real downer was that there was a lengthy chunk of road in Virginia/West Virginia during which i got no service at all (I later saw that Mint provides no coverage there at all). Fortunately I had downloaded offline Google Maps for those areas so navigation wasn't affected, and I was able to connect to the internet using my wife's phone as a mobile hotspot (she has Verizon prepaid, which did have service the whole time, but her's costs around $20 more per month than my plan). Also, at a stop I was able to make a call by logging in to a restaurant wifi and using WiFi Talk.

Overall, there are some limitations to Mint but the advantages and value are hard to beat.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Narnian wrote:

This may be of help to those considering Mint. I just got back from a long road trip using Mint, and am pretty pleased with the service (I am on the 12-month, 10 GB plan). Drove from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Cleveland and back to Atlanta over the past week, and Mint provided very good service for the most part. I did a few speed tests while travelling, and was able to record my fastest 4g speed ever at around 48 mbps near Cleveland. It was great to be able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot in the car so I could use my laptop (this is something my old carrier, Cricket, didn't provide).

The only real downer was that there was a lengthy chunk of road in Virginia/West Virginia during which i got no service at all (I later saw that Mint provides no coverage there at all). Fortunately I had downloaded offline Google Maps for those areas so navigation wasn't affected, and I was able to connect to the internet using my wife's phone as a mobile hotspot (she has Verizon prepaid, which did have service the whole time, but her's costs around $20 more per month than my plan). Also, at a stop I was able to make a call by logging in to a restaurant wifi and using WiFi Talk.

Overall, there are some limitations to Mint but the advantages and value are hard to beat.

Wonderful! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! We're glad to hear service worked out for you while road tripping!
There are lots of dead zones for cell service while on the road.. even major highways!
Going from NYC area to upstate NY route 87 you find some dead spots in the mountains for miles but it eventually comes back where there is coverage. Also keep in mind, sometimes you might see an X over the lte data when in a limited service area-- you can make/receive calls, but that's about it until you get to a full service cell tower. While upstate NY finally got internet, it's a hodge podge of deployment, so YMMV.

BTW, tmobile is not available in a large part of Vermont, so pick another carrier if you want to live there.
I hope one day Mint Mobile can utilize ATT as a possible carrier. Tmobile is far too under-deployed in the boonies. At least allow call/txt roaming over , if not actual data over att...
I live outside Harrisonburg,Va in the Shenandoah Valley, it doesn't matter who your provider is in this area including WVA you will find dead spots all over. I know people with all the major carriers, and once you get into the mountains service is hit or miss. Overall Mint works just as good/bad as all the other providers.
Narnian wrote:

Is WiFi talk available on all phones? I guess it's good to have in areas where there is no coverage I do not see the point of using it where cell tower coverage is available as calling is unlimited.
Userlevel 3
lovecheapmobile wrote:

Is WiFi talk available on all phones? I guess it's good to have in areas where there is no coverage I do not see the point of using it where cell tower coverage is available as calling is unlimited.

It looks like it's only available on some Android phones. Here is the list:

https://www.mintmobile.com/wifi-talk-text/

I didn't really care about WiFi talk when I started with Mint either, since most of the time since I am usually on a cell network anyway. However, I realized that when there is no cell signal, it's really nice to still be able to call. Even if this is only a handful of times a year, such as when I'm traveling or in a basement with spotty coverage, WiFi talk is very handy. What's also nice is that it can be set so that it automatically and seamlessly switch between cellular network and WiFi talk.