Users in Rural Areas

• 11 December 2018
  • 0 replies

So like some other users, I decided to try out Mint because of the promotion of 3 months for $20. I also purchased the same thing for my mom, as we wanted to get away from our huge carrier bills.

So when I checked the coverage map, it showed that we would have coverage. After getting my sim card, I ported my number over and activated my phone. I never got the confirmation texts from the fox, but ended up figuring how to set up everything on my own. I had a problem though: my brand new, unlocked device said there was no cellular network.

So I called and spoke to a representative, whom told me that "this issue only happens if the device is not unlocked." I told her that was in no way my issue as I had just purchased the device brand new, and specifically as an unlocked model. She repeated that this could be the only reason for my problem. After getting off the phone with her, I had to go into town to do some shopping. (I live in a small town 4 miles down the road from a bigger city.)

As soon as I got 4 miles down the road, on the edge of the college town, my phone started going off like crazy. I had cell signal there.

In the 3 days since, I have realized that it is absolutely not my device, but rather that the coverage map isn't truthful. I get service in the college town, all the way until I get 3 miles from home.

So for those of you who are considering Mint, and you happen to live outside of a largely populated area, don't get it. The coverage map is wrong.

This topic has been closed for comments