Question

International roaming

• 7 March 2019
  • 7 replies

Has anyone purchased it and used it successfully? I bought 5 dollars of international roaming but my phone did not allow me to complete calls in Europe.

7 replies

I am going to Mexico next week and I saw Mint has fees for international roaming.

But I want to know if I use WIFI calling and Text while I am in mexico do I still get charged intl roaming Fees??

I just came back from three weeks in italy. During that time I purchase UpRoam data in the amount of $160. I was not able to make calls to the US. When I tried I would get an Italian operator recording which I assume said my call could not be completed. I did receive a few calls and many scam calls all from US numbers. Texting worked without a problem both in country and to & from the US. I kept data roaming off most of the time unless I was out of a WiFi area (hotels etc) and needed to look something up online or use Google maps. When using maps, roaming may have been on for an hour or more at a time. I had this same problem last year when I was in the DR for a week. I can't find any fee schedule for the UpRoam add on, and by that I mean how much per mb or gb. I fiund a reference to the fee charged reading some of the blog posting that refence $2 per mb. If accurate, that is outrageous and defeats the purpose of using a low cost no frills carrier. Especially since TM does not have the greatest coverage in the US to begin with,

I just came back from three weeks in italy. During that time I purchase UpRoam data in the amount of $160. I was not able to make calls to the US. When I tried I would get an Italian operator recording which I assume said my call could not be completed. I did receive a few calls and many scam calls all from US numbers. Texting worked without a problem both in country and to & from the US. I kept data roaming off most of the time unless I was out of a WiFi area (hotels etc) and needed to look something up online or use Google maps. When using maps, roaming may have been on for an hour or more at a time. I had this same problem last year when I was in the DR for a week. I can't find any fee schedule for the UpRoam add on, and by that I mean how much per mb or gb. I fiund a reference to the fee charged reading some of the blog posting that refence $2 per mb. If accurate, that is outrageous and defeats the purpose of using a low cost no frills carrier. Especially since TM does not have the greatest coverage in the US to begin with,

I spent a month in Europe and spent about twice as much on UpRoam . It was my one regret of that trip. Now when I leave the country I pay to get a local SIM card for my trip. I’m on the 12 GB plan so if I’m somewhere for a week I get a sim with at least 4 or 5 GB of data and it has been great. And then when I get back into the US I just switch it back. 

Hi @anokul,

We're sorry that you had trouble making calls while you were in Europe. We were, unfortunately, experiencing some issues with our international roaming services at the time. We've recently emailed an apology to all the accounts that were impacted but if you haven't gotten one from us please, contact our Care team who will be happy to sort you out.

I’m a low usage caller who doesn’t use a phone much, and Mint is cheap for low volume users, but I’ve *never* been able to roam internationally. I first discovered this when my husband fell in Mexico and I had to call the US to verify coverage. Just outside the hospital is a bad time to discover you have no international roaming, despite having paid for it. It’s almost impossible to debug over wifi if all you have is the non-working phone, and tech support told me they *think* my phone (an LG G6) isn’t supported. We go to Mexico every year. International roaming has never ever worked there for me at all.

The second time I failed to roam spectacularly was when called to UK for an unexpected funeral. Same problem, no roaming, no explanation, though roaming charges seem to get deducted.

I even bought a local SIM at Tesco in the UK because of this problem. Did you know that it can take up to two days when you install a new SIM to actually get data service and texts working? So I was incommunicado for the first two days. Thanks Tesco.

Lastly, I bought a giffgaff UK SIM while I was in the US, which they said you can activate as soon as you land with a credit card, but when I inserted the SIM, I was unable to activate it via their URL.

So I tried fairly hard, but it’s apparently impossible to buy a SIM card for the UK and know the number *before* you land so that you can tell people up front what number they can reach you on.

So the two times I really needed international roaming, it wasn’t available, which is worse than being told up front that you will have no roaming. The smart money says to pick up a cheap local burner phone the moment you land.

I will be buying a Moto something, and switching to google fi. It may cost a little more, but if it works, it will be worth it. That said, If you never roam and you never need tech support, mint is fine, and you get (slightly less) than you paid for.

Craigp: wifi calling works for me in Mexico and the UK, as long as the wifi connection is good enough. I use the TextNow app. But if I have wifi, I mostly send email anyway. Many people fail to get international roaming working with Mint.

I had the same problem when I was in Ontario a few weeks back. The worst part about MINT is the customer service. If you can deal with the lack of it entirely (no one emailed me about an issue 6 months ago, then you're good to go. Hard to beat the prices, seems like they spent all their money on the super bowl ads and now they can't keep up.