Question

International Roaming Data-Speed, Cost and WiFi Calling

• 24 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello Royce,

I will most likely be traveling internationally to Dubai/UAE, Germany. Turkey, India, Pakistan and China in next the few months.

1. What is your International Roaming data speed? Is it 3G/4G-LTE or 2G (TMO's free int roaming speed is 2G for its post-paid subscribers), Your website doesn't mention any data speeds.
  2. Is there a list of data speed by countries?
  3. Can you provide manual APN settings for countries on your website?
  4. Can you guys charge international data in GBs instead of MBs. $204.8/GB int. data is very expensive as mentioned by many other members.
  5. When is your plan to activate Wifi calling for iPhone? I heard earlier it was supposed to go-live this summer-June/July.
Thanks in advance for the answers.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hello Royce,

I will most likely be traveling internationally to Dubai/UAE, Germany. Turkey, India, Pakistan and China in next the few months.

1. What is your International Roaming data speed? Is it 3G/4G-LTE or 2G (TMO's free int roaming speed is 2G for its post-paid subscribers), Your website doesn't mention any data speeds.
  4. Can you guys charge international data in GBs instead of MBs. $204.8/GB int. data is very expensive as mentioned by many other members.
  5. When is your plan to activate Wifi calling for iPhone? I heard earlier it was supposed to go-live this summer-June/July.

Hello, Mint Mobile's INTL roaming speed would be the same as T-Mobile. Unfortunately, we do not have a list of data speeds or APN settings per country. For Mint Mobile, you would need to have our data settings set and when roaming, you would need to change your device cellular settings to enable roaming. Don't forget to add funds to your wallet balance to purchase UpRoam credits as well. Thanks for your feedback in regards to pricing and we can pass on the message to the team. There's no set release date yet on wifi calling for iPhones and as soon as we have further details, we'll make sure to release updates.
Userlevel 3

Hello Royce,

Hello, Mint Mobile's INTL roaming speed would be the same as T-Mobile.

TMO has three data speeds, though:

128 kbps (free on recent plans)
256 kbps (a monthly add-on on recent plans)
High speed (data passes, $20/GB I believe)

So which tier does Mint provide its customers?

@CK1, for your trips you're better off going with other providers--local to your destinations, or T-Mobile postpaid, or Google Fi (if you have a Google phone lying around.) $0.20/mb isn't meant for anything but text based IMing.
Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello Royce,

Hello, Mint Mobile's INTL roaming speed would be the same as T-Mobile.

TMO has three data speeds, though:

128 kbps (free on recent plans)
256 kbps (a monthly add-on on recent plans)
High speed (data passes, $20/GB I believe)

So which tier does Mint provide its customers?

@CK1, for your trips you're better off going with other providers--local to your destinations, or T-Mobile postpaid, or Google Fi (if you have a Google phone lying around.) $0.20/mb isn't meant for anything but text based IMing.

International roaming data speeds are up to 2G and it's also dependent on coverage for the specific location and what the areas network provider offers. To get a better idea of actual data speeds, you can research the network connected to and contact that network provider for their data speeds.
This is the link I found and used when I went to Mexico to get a better idea. https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming