Question

SMS Spamming Me to Death!!

• 21 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Let me describe my issue with endless, relentless spam SMS I’m getting...DAILY!

I’m at my wits end trying to figure out how in the world am I going to stop this relentless spam I’m getting on a daily basis.  Here’s the details, as detailed as I can get without putting you to sleep with a TL/DR story (Too Long/ Didn’t Read!)

At about the same time each & every single day, I receive a spam SMS message telling me about how I can borrow up to $6,000 & have it in my account fast.  Um, I think NOT, spammer!  I’m not naive enough to give a spammer my REAL account details.  Nice try!  The message is always the same (they even call me by the wrong name in the message too!) & the web link address that I’m supposed to tap on, changes in each message.  BUT… here’s the kicker before any of you answer with “just block the number & move on!”  The SMS is coming from a different number EACH! AND! EVERY! TIME! but the message is the same AND the same wrong name too, so I know it’s the same spammer.  The only pattern to these spams are the area codes they’re coming from.  THOSE are the same (but they rotate the area codes daily) but use the same three every time.  It’s area code 833, 844 & 855...then random numbers after that so blocking & reporting them is useless!  Well, the blocking part is, the numbers are always different (the last 7 digits) so the spam never stops!  Each message contains the “Send END to stop” but I don’t DARE respond, as that’ll only validate my number for them to sell to others & they’ll start spamming me to death as well, so...what’s a guy to do?

Each time I block & report, I get a message from T-mobile thanking me for the report & they’ll take it from there (in their wording).  It’s been over 4 months & the spam isn’t stopping!  Is the blame on T-mobile for not stopping spam from the same 3 area codes, as mass spammers on a daily basis?  I’m looking in the Messenger Archive & I see at least 100 red stop signs next to all of these spams that I’ve reported, all with different numbers, but same 3 area codes.  (yeah I know I keep repeating myself, but I want to make it clear what I’m dealing with)

I know that the 833, 844 & 855 area codes are toll-free numbers so this is where the confusion sets in.  How in the world can I stop SMS from toll-free numbers that rotate, but never from the same last 7 digits??

I have a Pixel 2XL & it’s up to date, Android 10.  I use the stock Messenger so no apps for texting.

Please, please, PLEASE for the love of all that is Holy to you, please give me a solution to stop an area code(s) from spamming me to death….DAILY!  Is it even possible to do this?  I’m not keen on installing an app, but if it lets me sleep at night knowing that I’ve stopped the spammer from reaching me, I’ll do it!  I’ve BEGGED the Messenger team many, many times (through the feedback link in the Messenger app) about blocking by keywords in future versions.  This way I can block area codes & stop the spamming.  Android used to have this ability in earlier versions, but it got taken away.  (sigh!)

Advice??  Please!! 

3 replies

You’re getting a message from T-Mobile about the reporting of spam text. Strange considering T-Mobile shuns Mint customers.

So….here it is almost a week later, 31 views & no answer yet.  Is there any CSR’s (or equivalent) to shed some light on this?  There HAS to be a solution...somewhere!

Userlevel 3

Let me describe my issue with endless, relentless spam SMS I’m getting...DAILY!

I’m at my wits end trying to figure out how in the world am I going to stop this relentless spam I’m getting on a daily basis.  Here’s the details, as detailed as I can get without putting you to sleep with a TL/DR story (Too Long/ Didn’t Read!)

At about the same time each & every single day, I receive a spam SMS message telling me about how I can borrow up to $6,000 & have it in my account fast.  Um, I think NOT, spammer!  I’m not naive enough to give a spammer my REAL account details.  Nice try!  The message is always the same (they even call me by the wrong name in the message too!) & the web link address that I’m supposed to tap on, changes in each message.  BUT… here’s the kicker before any of you answer with “just block the number & move on!”  The SMS is coming from a different number EACH! AND! EVERY! TIME! but the message is the same AND the same wrong name too, so I know it’s the same spammer.  The only pattern to these spams are the area codes they’re coming from.  THOSE are the same (but they rotate the area codes daily) but use the same three every time.  It’s area code 833, 844 & 855...then random numbers after that so blocking & reporting them is useless!  Well, the blocking part is, the numbers are always different (the last 7 digits) so the spam never stops!  Each message contains the “Send END to stop” but I don’t DARE respond, as that’ll only validate my number for them to sell to others & they’ll start spamming me to death as well, so...what’s a guy to do?

Each time I block & report, I get a message from T-mobile thanking me for the report & they’ll take it from there (in their wording).  It’s been over 4 months & the spam isn’t stopping!  Is the blame on T-mobile for not stopping spam from the same 3 area codes, as mass spammers on a daily basis?  I’m looking in the Messenger Archive & I see at least 100 red stop signs next to all of these spams that I’ve reported, all with different numbers, but same 3 area codes.  (yeah I know I keep repeating myself, but I want to make it clear what I’m dealing with)

I know that the 833, 844 & 855 area codes are toll-free numbers so this is where the confusion sets in.  How in the world can I stop SMS from toll-free numbers that rotate, but never from the same last 7 digits??

I have a Pixel 2XL & it’s up to date, Android 10.  I use the stock Messenger so no apps for texting.

Please, please, PLEASE for the love of all that is Holy to you, please give me a solution to stop an area code(s) from spamming me to death….DAILY!  Is it even possible to do this?  I’m not keen on installing an app, but if it lets me sleep at night knowing that I’ve stopped the spammer from reaching me, I’ll do it!  I’ve BEGGED the Messenger team many, many times (through the feedback link in the Messenger app) about blocking by keywords in future versions.  This way I can block area codes & stop the spamming.  Android used to have this ability in earlier versions, but it got taken away.  (sigh!)

Advice??  Please!! 

Sorry for the inconvenience, I've sent you a private message to get more information on the issue that you’re experiencing.