Solved

Still getting Tmobile software updates...is this normal?

• 13 February 2020
  • 6 replies

So I pre-ordered a Note 8 through T-mobile in August 2017 and have used it everyday since it’s launch in September 2017.  

In March 2019 the phone was paid off completely.

In August 2019 I called T-mobile, followed the instructions to unlock my phone, canceled my service and switched to Mint.

Every time I reset my phone I still get the T-mobile welcome screen.

Every month or so I get T-mobile Android software and security patch updates, including this morning,

I am currently running the February 1, 2020 security patch level installed February 13, 2020 at 06:37 am.

Is this normal? Is this because mint runs on the T-mobile network?

icon

Best answer by Treker2 13 February 2020, 20:47

That's the problem with buying a phone from the carrier, you can unlock it factory reset and the carrier crap is still there, never to go away (why I always buy our phones from the manufacture and not a carrier). The Android security updates are coming from Google via Samsung, be glad that you are getting the security updates.

View original

6 replies

That's the problem with buying a phone from the carrier, you can unlock it factory reset and the carrier crap is still there, never to go away (why I always buy our phones from the manufacture and not a carrier). The Android security updates are coming from Google via Samsung, be glad that you are getting the security updates.

Oh no I am glad. Especially since what I’ve read is that unlocked phones typically get the updates last...I’ve been getting regular updates. And I’m not sure if the updates are coming from Samsung. The pop-up says T-Mobile update and the legalese is T-Mobile. No complaints. Just curious.

Next month if I remember I will do a screen print.

Usually the security releases are Android, phone manufacture, then anything the carrier wants (carrier purchased phones) then your phone. My phones get regular security updates but they are coming from the manufacture/ Google.  

Ok good to know. Mine still says T-Mobile. 

Again no worries. $15/month vs. $109 for the same network towers? Ummm yes please.

I have had Mint almost 2 years, maybe not all the bells and whistles of the big guys, but it has been a good run. Got the Kids on Mint and if there were problems I’d hear about it.