Question

Mintmobile International Roaming Scam / Needs Class Action Lawsuit

• 6 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I've lived overseas more than 10 years and have had a lot of experience with international roaming services t-Mobile, ATT, Verizon, Vodafone, CSL, Singtel etc. It's always switch on the phone and the phone/services sort things out in a few minutes. I added $40 to my Mintmobile Roam account which states its super "F*!xing easy". Here I am in the Dominican Republic and ZERO service. What makes this a scam? Simple the mint rep (trouble ticket# 3827750) states in order for the service to work I have to #1 put the phone in airplane mode prior to departure (which by the way I did) #2 switch off airplane mode upon arrival and #3 turn on the international roaming and data roaming. "If you did not do this then you cannot use the service". SO tell me where exactly are these "Super F!*xing easy" instructions" on the Mintmobile website??? There is ZERO indication that if you miss a step that your service will be rendered inoperable until you return back to the USA. By the way I did follow these steps as a basic course of action when I fly and still no service, Also never ever have I heard of "if you don't switch on airplane mode... your service is completely inop for the entire trip.

I have requested that my $40/USD roam credit be refunded which I am expecting VERY quickly. I would like to see Mintmobile who I believe is Ultra who in turn is t-Mobile remove this service as advertised from the website or face potential Class Action Lawsuit for false advertisement.

3 replies

Agree, Mint is misleading by not having these very specific instructions available. I paid for international roaming on a trip to Canada> I must have missed the airplane mode, I powered off for the flight then powered on and switched to international and roaming. I could Tried everything, phone was useless unless in wifi area.
Works well enough in the states, but... agree that the international roaming is a scam. I've been to India and Italy, both countries on "the list", in the past 3 months and while my phone will connect to the Mint network, it will cannot place a call or text or access the internet. Multiple customer service reps have told me that the problem is with the towers in the area where I am traveling. This is a lie. I am in urban areas with tons of cell coverage, and... I used to have T-mobile (same network) and when I visited these same cities before, it worked flawlessly. I have now scoured the internet and have yet to find one person who has verified that they got international roaming to work with Mint Mobile. I am now considering opening a fraud case with the Los Angeles police department (where Mint Mobile is based).

My experience is pretty similar.   Service works pretty well in USA and no issues with roaming in Canada.   The tethering hotspot feature is also nice.   All my experiences further away than Canada have been completely useless, and the support line clearly has no constructive way to help.  If the international roaming is of importance, do not use this company.