Question

Preventing number porting / SIM card attacks.

• 11 March 2020
  • 5 replies

How does Mint SIM protect from a SIM swapping or Number Porting attack. How do I set up a PIN to prevent people form taking my number without my knowledge?

My account will expire soon and I do not want to continue without being protected from such attacks.

5 replies

The PIN is the last 4 digits of your phone number, and the account number is also needed for porting.

All someone needs to compromise my 2FA is my phone number?! That's public information!

That's insane. How do I set my PIN? That's my question. What you've described is not security.

I don’t work for or agree with Mint’s practices as far as the PIN you cannot change that is the last 4 of your phone number, I agree it is not secure. 

I was just letting you know your PIN.

To get you account number from your browser the link below is helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/comments/ex9x54/getting_your_account_numberpin_without_calling/

This does work as I confirmed my account number from a previous call in which they gave me my account number.

Userlevel 3

Hello, please note that we follow a validation process at the moment of providing the account’s information. In case your responses don't match, we will not provide the information, but you shouldn’t worry, your number is secure with us. Also, please keep in mind that you have 60 days to renew your account after your plan ends. Thanks.

Hello, please note that we follow a validation process at the moment of providing the account’s information. In case your responses don't match, we will not provide the information, but you shouldn’t worry, your number is secure with us. Also, please keep in mind that you have 60 days to renew your account after your plan ends. Thanks.

Not good enough of a response.

I want stronger controls to protect my sim from being swapped. I know of cases where employees have been coerced into swapping a customer’s sim.