Question

Short code sms?

• 10 August 2018
  • 9 replies

I installed Uber and Uber Eats on my iPhone and am not receiving the verification texts they send to connect my account. In their help section, they say to contact my carrier.

“Your mobile carrier may be blocking the short code SMS that Uber uses to contact you. Please contact your mobile provider to confirm that short code SMS is enabled for your mobile account.”

How do I get this working? Thanks.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
I don't get short code messages from Uber, but they work just fine from other short code senders. When setting it up, did Uber ask you to pick a carrier for your phone number?
Nope. Don’t see anywhere that it asks for carrier?
Userlevel 3
OK. Some senders do, and if you don't pick the right one, it may not work.

Do you know the number that Uber uses to send these messages? Try texting that number and then re-signing up for messages. If your outbound message is blocked, then you definitely need to talk to Mint.
I'd still like to know why I'm not receiving the text, as I wonder if there'll be other texts I won't receive via Mint.

That said, I found a workaround. While the Uber Eats app doesn't offer a "receive a call for code", the Uber app DOES. When the SMS option failed, it gave me an option to receive a call instead, got the code, got logged in...then when I opened the Uber Eats app again, it no longer wanted me to verify with a code and only needed to enter my password to login.

Hope that helps anyone else with the same problem. Would love to hear from Mint on this issue! Thanks!
Userlevel 1
I'd still like to know why I'm not receiving the text, as I wonder if there'll be other texts I won't receive via Mint.

That said, I found a workaround. While the Uber Eats app doesn't offer a "receive a call for code", the Uber app DOES. When the SMS option failed, it gave me an option to receive a call instead, got the code, got logged in...then when I opened the Uber Eats app again, it no longer wanted me to verify with a code and only needed to enter my password to login.

Hope that helps anyone else with the same problem. Would love to hear from Mint on this issue! Thanks!

Hello, we do not block short codes and when logging into your online account, you can see the promotional notifications are set up to disable or enable for Mint Mobile products only. Thanks for providing feedback on the workaround for other Mint customers. Uber can also make sure your account is set up correctly when you fill out the contact form with your phone number, details and email. Reference - https://help.uber.com/h/87ce1f38-62ab-4820-b022-b458eb05cbcf
-Natalie
Mint Mobile

Hello, we do not block short codes and when logging into your online account, you can see the promotional notifications are set up to disable or enable for Mint Mobile products only. Thanks for providing feedback on the workaround for other Mint customers. Uber can also make sure your account is set up correctly when you fill out the contact form with your phone number, details and email. Reference - https://help.uber.com/h/87ce1f38-62ab-4820-b022-b458eb05cbcf
-Natalie
Mint Mobile

Good luck with that Uber link, I tried that days ago and the only reply I got days later was a form reply of them wanting a ton more info about my Uber account/verification so they could look into it which I didn't have time for.

Fixed it on my iphone 8 plus with the method above, and on my wife's (same phone) by going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > Data Only (turning off Voice & Data option). This also enables Voicemail notifications to now come through which we weren't getting. This Mint thing is starting to feel a little duct taped. What am I missing from turning off LTE Voice now so that I can get Voicemails and short sms texts? Hmmm...
And I just read up on what I'm now missing with Voice & Data turned OFF and only Data on...calls will be taken over 3G and it won't be possible to access data while on a call (unless I have a wifi connection). What the heck. Are there better solutions here?
Userlevel 3
calls will be taken over 3G and it won't be possible to access data while on a call (unless I have a wifi connection).

That doesn't sound right. GSM carriers have long supported simultaneous voice and data. You won't get LTE speed data because you've essentially forced your phone off voLTE, but you should be able to browse on whichever network your phone took the call on (3G/'4G'.)
Userlevel 1

-Natalie
Mint Mobile
Good luck with that Uber link, I tried that days ago and the only reply I got days later was a form reply of them wanting a ton more info about my Uber account/verification so they could look into it which I didn't have time for.

Fixed it on my iphone 8 plus with the method above, and on my wife's (same phone) by going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > Data Only (turning off Voice & Data option). This also enables Voicemail notifications to now come through which we weren't getting. This Mint thing is starting to feel a little duct taped. What am I missing from turning off LTE Voice now so that I can get Voicemails and short sms texts? Hmmm...

Can you direct message us your mobile number along with the short codes and we'll reach out to our technical support team to further review this issue.
-Natalie
Mint Mobile