Solved

T-mobile is saying Mint needs to unlock my iPhone

• 30 August 2019
  • 2 replies

I purchased my iPhone through T-mobile, met all their requirements for unlocking, always in good standing, etc, moved to Mint about a year and a half ago, however I have talked to T-mobile for many hours, and their final advice was to say that Mint is likely the only one who can unlock my iPhone now, as I do not have a T-mobile account any longer, and it has been "archived" and does not apparently have enough details.

Anyone have any experience with this? I've also talked to Apple, who specifically got me connected with T-mobile the most recent time when they gave me this advice. No lost, no stolen, I'm the only owner, and 3rd party options so far are saying they won't work.
icon

Best answer by MintMonica 30 August 2019, 20:36

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. I sent you a private message requesting your Mint Mobile number so we can connect with our team to see if there's something we can do.
View original

2 replies

Okay, so I've spent enough time that I've exhausted all possibilities. I've talked to Mint, I've talked to Apple, I've talked to support reps at T-mobile, I've talked to T-mobile support on Twitter, at the end of the day, if you have a t-mobile locked device, and you comply with all their requirements, but you don't unlock the phone prior to cancelling your account or transferring it, you run this risk.

They under no circumstances will unlock your phone. They will require you to open a new account, keep it open for 40 days (ensuring you pay two months), or I believe you may be able to use a prepaid account and refill it with at least $100. The letter of their agreement says an account in good standing, not an account that was in good standing when you leave.

So if you're thinking about calling them, you have my sympathy, but know that many hours later, despite relatively polite people, you will be faced with only one option, go back to T-mobile and pay, or your phone remains locked to them.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey, I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. I sent you a private message requesting your Mint Mobile number so we can connect with our team to see if there's something we can do.