Question

Can I activate a SIM for a new account from France?

My wife has Mint Mobile and now I am ordering a second account to replace my cell plan from my employer (retiring this month). But I am unable to leave France for the duration of the pandemic. I contacted two MM agents who said that I could activate from here, but both seemed very unsure. I found a Forum question about activating from the UK and the MM response was yes, but you have to configure your phone for roaming, “not guaranteed”. No further information was given about configuration.  Can someone give detailed and definite information? If I have a friend Fedex me the new SIM card and it does not activate here, I will ultimately lose my phone number which would be bad.

3 replies

Userlevel 3

My wife has Mint Mobile and now I am ordering a second account to replace my cell plan from my employer (retiring this month). But I am unable to leave France for the duration of the pandemic. I contacted two MM agents who said that I could activate from here, but both seemed very unsure. I found a Forum question about activating from the UK and the MM response was yes, but you have to configure your phone for roaming, “not guaranteed”. No further information was given about configuration.  Can someone give detailed and definite information? If I have a friend Fedex me the new SIM card and it does not activate here, I will ultimately lose my phone number which would be bad.

Hi there, you can order a replacement SIM to your friend's house so he/she can send it to you, and you will be able to activate it through your Mint account. Related to the roaming services, we do recommend getting a local SIM card if you will stay more than 3 days, due to the cost will hurt your wallet. Also, the roaming quality will depend on your location that's why it's not a 100% guarantee.

Thanks for the reply. I am in Paris where all French cell phone service providers have excellent signals. I assume that roaming would not be a problem. So you are saying that it would be OK if I was in France with the phone when it is activated? Could you run through the exact steps for me? I have two phones that have worked with a Mint SIM in the past (a Samsung Galaxy S6, and an Asus Max Pro) . Would I go online to activate, or call Customer Service? Do I ask Customer Service to turn on roaming before putting the SIM in the phone for the first time? Are there any other specific steps I need to know?

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the reply. I am in Paris where all French cell phone service providers have excellent signals. I assume that roaming would not be a problem. So you are saying that it would be OK if I was in France with the phone when it is activated? Could you run through the exact steps for me? I have two phones that have worked with a Mint SIM in the past (a Samsung Galaxy S6, and an Asus Max Pro) . Would I go online to activate, or call Customer Service? Do I ask Customer Service to turn on roaming before putting the SIM in the phone for the first time? Are there any other specific steps I need to know?

Thanks for your response. Please note that you can activate the SIM card by yourself at https://my.mintmobile.com/activation, once activated, you’ll need to purchase a roaming balance from your account online, then, proceed to turn roaming on your device and connect to a local network.