Question

Why am I not getting mobile data?

• 2 August 2018
  • 7 replies

I'm a new customer using the 1 GB data account. I'm getting a very weak cellphone signal and no mobile data. I use mainly wifi so this isn't a huge issue. However, my wife is complaining about dropped calls and wants to switch carriers. I have tried to setup the APN with different settings. I can get a better signal with t-mobile settings but I lose the signal at times. This would definitely cause dropped calls. After much experimenting I reverted to the recommended APN setting but still get no mobile data. Is there anything I can do?

7 replies

I meant to say that I have the 2 GB data plan. My wife just made a phone call and she was not dropped. Hopefully the phone call dropping problem was solved when I changed the APN settings. We still are getting no 4G data connection.
My phone is HTC Desire 530 and I just read some confusing information about compatibility with 4G LTE. Do I have to reset some settings? I read in one place that it was not compatible with 4G LTE and in another that it was compatible at a different setting. I did not understand what it meant or more importantly how to change the settings to make it work.
Apparently I was getting 4G LTE data. I usually use my phone like a land line. (Just at home.) When we got down the street about a half block I started seeing the 4G symbol. On my last carrier I saw that even when I was using WIFI. It appears I wasn't getting it when I originally put the sim card in. I must have the APN settings correct now. We haven't been dropping calls and the 4G LTE data seem to be working now. The settings were a bit of a challenge but it seems to be working fine now.
SOLVED!!!
It maybe because it has limited bands. From Phone Arena "Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20".
It maybe because it has limited bands. From Phone Arena "Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20".

The USA version of the HTC Desire 530 supports 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, and 13. That covers 3 of the most common LTE bands T-Mobile/Mint uses (2,4, and 12).
I meant to say that I have the 2 GB data plan. My wife just made a phone call and she was not dropped. Hopefully the phone call dropping problem was solved when I changed the APN settings. We still are getting no 4G data connection.

When I first activated on my Nexus 6P, it cycled through all the data connections for a while before settling on LTE. I saw E, 3G, H, and LTE. After the initial setup, I've only seen H and LTE. Maybe the system probes to see what the device supports. Seems like something that should be handled with a database of phones but...